GSAP Training Opportunities 2017-18
For more information about GSAP trainings contact Martha Veto: email@example.com
On-line training opportunities
- The Open Hands Open Access (OHOA) Deaf-Blind Intervener Learning Modules are a national resource designed to increase awareness, knowledge, and skills related to intervention for students who are deaf-blind and are being served in educational settings (ages 3 through 21).
- 26 modules available – each 3-5 training hours
- Work at your own pace
- Certificate of completion upon submission of module Reflection Journal
- Optional assignments – complete those relevant to your student
- Discussion boards where participants can share ideas or ask questions with others in the modules
- Go to https://moodle.nationaldb.org
- Scroll down to the Register Here tab and complete the registration form to be added to the Module Community
- You will receive a user name and password from the National Center on Deaf-Blindness
- Review the available modules at https://moodle.nationaldb.org/mod/page/view.php?id=24821
- If you want GSAP training hours credit, send an email to Mveto@uga.edu asking to be placed into the Georgia version of the modules you are interested in.
- If you do not want training credit hours, you can simply self-enrol in the Master/Creator version of the modules.
Questions? Contact Martha Veto, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cortical Visual Impairment Study Group
GSAP sponsored a 2-year CVI study with Dr. Roman-Lantzy and Georgia now has a handful of Perkins-Roman CVI Range Endorsed teachers. Our goal is to keep abreast of new ideas in the area of CVI and to use the shared expertise of the group to discuss assessments and interventions for individual children by holding 5 on-line study group meetings. These 2-hour meetings will be broken into 1 hour of presentation by a CVI Mentor, and 1 hour to discuss a student. Requests for presenting your student can be made when you sign up to attend the meeting and you’ll be notified if your student is selected. Meetings of the study group will be held in GSAP’s iMeet web-conference room. Please register here for study group sessions you’d like to attend so we can send you materials before the meeting.
Friday, August 25 1:30-3:30- Topic for the first hour: Giving the assessment- what’s in my CVI kit and favorite assessment strategies- Ginger Schmidt and mentors
Friday, September 22, 1:30-3:30 – Topic for the first hour: Scoring the Range- Martha Veto and mentors
Friday, November 17th, 1:30-3:30 – Topic for the first hour: Phase I interventions and the CVI Schedule – Christine Spratling and mentors
Friday, February 16th, 1:30-3:30 – Topic for the first hour: Phase II interventions and introducing 2-D materials
Friday March 15th, 1:30-3:30 – Topic for the first hour: Phase III interventions focus on reading, mobility and social skills
On-Site Training for Educational Teams
GSAP will send a training team to schools or districts to conduct in-service training. To discuss training options, contact Martha Veto, email@example.com, 478-550-2367
- Deaf-Blindness 101 – The impact of deaf-blindness on development and learning and resources for educational teams. 2 hour training
- Communication beyond words and signs – A look at communication strategies and resources for students with combined vision and hearing loss. Assessment and planning for individual students. 6 hour training (can be one day or shorter sessions spread across a couple of months).
- Cortical Visual Impairment– Assessment and Intervention for CVI 3 hour training
- Active Learning – Lilli Nielsen’s approach for children who are blind and have additional disabilities (2 hour training)
Regional and conference training related to deaf-blindness:
Oct. 7-11 MS SERID Conference – Jackson, MS
Oct. 18-20 GVEST Conference Middle Georgia State University, Macon, GA –
Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 CVI day-long workshop sponsored by GSAP and Smokey Powell: “What’s the Complexity” with Matt Tietjen –Location to be determined – watch for registration information!
June 5-8, 2018 St. Simons IDEAS Conference
GSAP Summer Institute – information coming soon!